sözaltı news Finance
Finance
EN AZ
Oil settles down 2% on weak demand outlook, hefty US crude build

Oil settles down 2% on weak demand outlook, hefty US crude build

finance.yahoo.com 13.08.2026 21:37 28 baxış

NEW YORK, Aug 13 ( ) - Oil settled down more than 2% on Thursday, reversing course after a week of gains, as investors focused on signs of weaker global demand and a sharp build in U.S. crude inventories. Brent and U.S. crude futures contracts pared losses after ‌being down over 3.5% earlier in the session after reports that Yemen's Houthis had targeted a Saudi Aramco refinery with drones, renewing concerns over ‌supply disruptions in an already tight global market. Brent futures finished $1.91, or 2.15%, lower at $87.07 a barrel following a six-session rally, while U.S.

West Texas Intermediate (WTI) crude closed down $2.02, or 2.4%, at $81.25 a barrel after ​advancing for five sessions. Investors weighed data from the U.S. Energy Information Administration on Wednesday that showed U.S. commercial crude oil inventories made their largest weekly gain since January 2023 as exports slumped.

Crude inventories rose by 17.4 million barrels to 424.4 million in the week ended August 7, their highest since June 5, the EIA said. OPEC lowered its world oil demand growth forecast for 2026 to 580,000 barrels per day in its monthly oil market report. The International Energy Agency also said it expected a contraction of 1.6 million bpd ‌in consumption this year, versus a drop of 1 million ⁠bpd forecast last month, with demand curtailed by higher prices and restricted supply due to the U.S.-Israeli war with Iran.

Prices, however, were pressured after a report from Yemen's Houthi-run Saba news agency said the militant group attacked an Aramco refinery in Saudi Arabia's Jazan ⁠with two drones on Thursday. News of the attacks sent diesel cracks to an all-time high. According to Saudi Aramco's website, the Jazan refinery has the capacity to produce 250,000 bpd of ultra-low sulfur diesel.

A Houthi military source said the attack was in response to what the group described as Saudi violations of Yemeni airspace and sovereignty in Saada and Hajjah provinces. ​Saudi ​Arabia did not immediately comment on the report. Supply disruptions in the Middle ​East and the Black Sea region continued to support oil prices, ‌with the U.S. and Iran making competing claims over the Strait of Hormuz, through which about 20% of global oil supply passed before the start of the Iran war. The strait is "under Iran's control and management", the recently appointed head of Iran's Basij paramilitary unit said on Thursday, a day after U.S.

President Donald Trump said the United States had "total control" of the waterway. Iran and the United States remain at loggerheads over efforts to agree a permanent end to the war in the Gulf, according to a senior Iranian source, who said there had been no progress in talks to revive the interim deal agreed in June and define a time frame to implement ‌it. Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth said on Thursday that the United States military could keep a ​blockade on Iranian ports for as long as needed.

Extract — continue reading at the source.

Read full story