sözaltı news World
World
EN AZ
Sydney Swans coach ‘extremely disappointed’ as club faces call on standing down players over alleged sexual assault

Sydney Swans coach ‘extremely disappointed’ as club faces call on standing down players over alleged sexual assault

theguardian.com 18.08.2026 00:56 8 baxış
Victoria police investigating allegation of sexual assault in the early hours of Monday morning at a Melbourne hotel l, free app or daily new

The Sydney Swans coach, Dean Cox, says he is “extremely disappointed” as the team and the AFL face a decision on whether to stand down several Swans players under investigation over an alleged sexual assault. Victoria police attended the Pullman Hotel in East Melbourne on Monday and said they were investigating a report of sexual assault in the early hours of the morning. The Swans stayed at the hotel on Sunday night after their 36-point win over Essendon at the MCG.

That victory locked in second place on the AFL ladder and a home qualifying final in three weeks. On Tuesday morning Cox spoke briefly to reporters outside the team headquarters. Asked if there would be sanctions against any players, he replied: “We’re working our way through everything with the AFL and the relevant parties, and, yeah, we’ll update where we get more information.” He did not confirm if he had spoken to any of the players about the incident, saying “we’ll speak as the day unfolds”.

The Sydney chief executive, Matthew Pavlich, on Monday afternoon confirmed several players had been involved in an “alleged incident” but refused to say whether any had been arrested. Pavlich said the club was working with the AFL and relevant authorities but that, since it was an ongoing police matter, he could not give more detail than that. The AFL is yet to comment on the matter, though its integrity unit appears certain to become involved.

Unlike the NRL, the AFL does not have a strict no-fault stand-down policy on players charged with serious offences such as sexual assault. But the AFL stood down Geelong’s Tanner Bruhn, who ultimately had sexual assault charges dropped, for the entire 2025 season while his case was in court. Bruhn, who always maintained his innocence, returned to play this year.

If Sydney do choose to stand down players, it will likely become clear well before team selection later this week. The Swans play North Melbourne at the MCG on Sunday. Sydney are required to name its extended squad on Thursday evening then cut that back to 23 players plus three emergencies on Friday.

The Swans then have a week off during the wildcard round before a home qualifying final. Regardless of the Swans’ decision, the investigation has rocked the club before the finals and cast a shadow over its season.

Extract — continue reading at the source.

Read full story