sözaltı news Politics
Politics
EN AZ
Target Gets Billion-Dollar Tariff Refund—Will Customers See Any Benefit?

Target Gets Billion-Dollar Tariff Refund—Will Customers See Any Benefit?

newsweek.com 20.08.2026 14:00 31 baxış
Corporations are taking different approaches to utilizing the rebates they are now receiving from Trump's annulled duties.

On Wednesday, Target published its results for the second quarter, revealing a 5.3 percent year-over-year lift in sales as net earnings doubled to nearly $1.9 billion—the latter thanks to a $994 million refund received during the quarter. Target lifted its annual guidance on the back of these results—which came in ahead of Wall Street forecasts—and noted the significant impact from the rebate in the three months which ended August 1. Analysis from Citi Research had predicted that Target could be due over $2 billion in refunds.

During an earnings call following the results, Chief Financial Officer Jim Lee said that the company was expecting further refunds in the coming months, but that the amount received so far accounts for "the significant majority" of those it had applied for. "We continue to look first to find other means to reduce the impact of tariffs, including changes to country of origin, collaborating with vendors to find offsets, and adjusting our assortment," Lee said. "Those tactics have helped us reduce tariff pressure while continuing to deliver the combination of style, design, and value consumers expect from Target." Newsweek has contacted Target via email outside of regular working hours for comment and is awaiting a response.

In February, the Supreme Court annulled the majority of Trump’s levies after ruling that these had been imposed using an overly expansive reading of the 1977 International Emergency Economic Powers Act (IEEPA). Consumers in many cases absorbed these costs in the form of higher prices, resulting in an effective $1,000-per-household tax increase last year, according to the Tax Foundation. However, only businesses themselves—the importers of record—were eligible to apply and now receive a refund.

Some companies have pledged to issue refunds directly to consumers when they receive their rebate, and others have committed to investing this into price cuts for customers. Target has given no indication that it plans to pass a portion of the $994 million windfall on to consumers, but executives say the funds will help sustain its ongoing push for competitive prices. "We have, and we will continue to, invest in price to ensure our guests are getting tremendous value each and every time they visit us at Target," Lee said in a statement to Modern Retail on Wednesday.

"We've already lowered prices on more than 10,000 items over the last 12 months and are planning for additional price reductions yet this year," Lee said during Wednesday’s earnings call, though he did not comment on whether this strategy was supported by the rebate. In late July, the government said it had issued around $100 billion in tariff rebates—the majority of the $166 billion it previously estimated that importers paid under the now-invalidated duties. Joseph Spraragen, an international trade attorney and partner at GDLSK LLP, previously told Newsweek that the refund process was "working well" but that not all of the paid tariffs were likely to be refunded.

"I would anticipate that 10-15 percent of the duties collected will not be refunded," he said, noting ongoing debate over whether certain customs entries were completed and the number of importers who may be owed refunds, but who have not filed for these for whatever reason. Major American companies are adopting different approaches to using the millions of dollars in refunds they are now receiving from the government, after President Donald Trump’s tariffs were struck down by the Supreme Court in February. Amazon executives said the company received around $600 million in tariff refunds during its second financial quarter.

Extract — continue reading at the source.

Read full story