It did not take long for Kieffer Moore to underline once again his importance to Wrexham's hopes of success. Less than three minutes into the new Championship campaign, the Wales forward was wheeling away to celebrate his first goal of 2026-27. Even after Rubin Colwill's punishing Cardiff City equaliser denied Wrexham the Welsh derby bragging rights in the last moments of Monday's game, it was hard to shift the smile of a striker who knows the importance of a fast start in front of goal.
Moore's early goal had left former Wales international Nathan Blake purring on punditry duty and manager Phil Parkinson praising his "brilliant" leading of the line. So far, so good – and similar to the impact from a key role last term. But for Moore, the key now will be to stay the distance.
The 34-year-old has revealed he has taken extra precautions in an attempt to prevent a repeat of the fitness issues that affected his first year at the Racecourse. "The injuries took their toll where I couldn't perform how I wanted to. It took the momentum away," Moore says.
"I want to do the exactly the same as last season and start well, but this time get rid of those injuries and hopefully I can just carry that form the whole way through." Last-gasp Cardiff salvage dramatic Wrexham draw Parkinson's double frustration as Wrexham denied Moore made an instant impact in his first months in Wrexham after signing from Sheffield United last summer. As well as being a physical outlet and platform for Wrexham's attacks, Moore notched up 12 goals by 26 December as Parkinson's side showed they could hold hopes of a push for the Premier League. But as injuries crept in – including a hamstring problem - things became a little more stop-start.
Moore managed only one more goal before the bid for promotion ended on the final game of the season in a 2-2 draw with Middlesbrough. Injury also meant Moore missed Wales' World Cup play-offs, with the 54-cap international saying "it hurt" watching on as Bosnia-Herzegovina denied Craig Bellamy's side on penalties. But instead of stewing during a summer as others took to football's biggest stage, Moore has been hard at work to avoid a repeat of the disappointment felt for both club and country.
"I've taken extra measures to see if I can look after myself and get myself in the best possible fitness to last the season," he explained. "I've bought some extra recovery stuff, some things I've invested in to hopefully give me that extra 1% that's needed to fill a gruelling Championship season." Moore shied away from revealing the exact details of his new regime, although he was pictured being put through his paces in private off-season sessions - and says his young son has ensured he has been kept on his toes. "I had some rest as well which is needed, but I've made sure I got myself in a great position," he explained.
Extract — continue reading at the source.