Officials suspended a former Wimbledon finalist following testing positive for cocaine use at an ATP event earlier this season. Nick Kyrgios said he had difficulties coming to terms with being near the end of his career after two years of injuries, but added that doesn't excuse his failed test and subsequent suspension. The 31-year-old provided a sample at June’s Mallorca Championships, which was confirmed to contain a metabolite of cocaine July 17 after testing, according to the Athletic.
"At times I’ve felt helpless and alone. None of that excuses what I did,” he said in a statement while adding injuries “have taken a huge toll on me, both physically and mentally. My body hasn’t been able to do what my mind expects it to do.” More WNBA: Shaq Reveals Why WNBA Rivals Are ‘Jealous’ of Caitlin Clark More Golf: Rory McIlroy Gets Honest About Potential PGA Tour Punishment The suspension has been in place since August 4, and Kyrgios has not appealed it, the International Tennis Integrity Agency (ITIA) said Wednesday.
Above all, I’m sorry to the kids who follow me. I know the example this sets and I’m deeply disappointed in myself.” Kyrgios has dealt with a rash of injuries in the latter stages of his career and has played just four matches in 2026. He previously underwent a full wrist reconstruction in September 2023, after suffering a full rupture of a key ligament that stabilizes the joint, and has struggled to generate any kind of momentum since.
He did not play his home Grand Slam in 2026 – the Australian Open – after losing in the first round the previous year while playing through abdominal discomfort. More NFL: Chiefs Star Travis Kelce Sends Clear Message on Potentially Final Season
Extract — continue reading at the source.