sözaltı news Culture
Culture
EN AZ
Tupac Shakur Murder Trial Opens 30 Years After Rapper’s Death: ‘An Act of Revenge’

Tupac Shakur Murder Trial Opens 30 Years After Rapper’s Death: ‘An Act of Revenge’

rollingstone.com 17.08.2026 20:07 8 baxış
Jurors will decide whether Duane "Keffe D" Davis played a role in the deadly drive-by shooting that killed Tupac Shakur in September 1996

Three decades after the 1996 drive-by shooting of hip-hop legend Tupac Shakur in Las Vegas, a prosecutor gave jurors an unflinching account of the killing on Monday, accusing Duane “Keffe D” Davis of organizing the attack as “an act of revenge.” In his opening statement on the first day of Davis’ murder trial, Clark County Chief Deputy District Attorney Binu Palal told jurors they would not have to take the state’s word for it. Davis, he said, had described his own role in a “secret 2008 interview” with authorities. He played snippets of the interview as Davis, dressed in a blue suit and tie, looked at a screen in the courtroom.

In the recording, Davis described his vehicle making a U-turn and pulling up alongside a black BMW carrying Shakur and Suge Knight near the Las Vegas Strip and handing a gun to a person in the back seat before shots rang out, according to a livestream of the trial from CourtTV. Instead, it was Davis’ “beloved nephew” Orlando “Baby Lane” Anderson in the backseat who fired the gun. He said the motive was Davis’ “visceral anger” over Shakur getting in a fistfight with Anderson inside the MGM Grand after a Mike Tyson boxing match hours earlier.

But what he did do was plan the retaliation for the beating of his nephew. You will learn that Duane Davis got the gun. You will learn that he got into a white Cadillac.

You will learn when the opportunity presented itself for retribution, Duane Davis made sure that the shooters are armed and ready to execute their revenge. And remarkably, you will learn that from Duane Davis himself,” Palal said. In his dueling opening statement, Davis’ defense lawyer Michael Sanft asked jurors why his client was never charged after his alleged confession to authorities in 2008.

Why wouldn’t they?” Sanft said. Editor’s picks The 250 Greatest Albums of the 21st Century So Far The 100 Best TV Episodes of All Time The 500 Greatest Albums of All Time 100 Best Movies of the 21st Century The lawyer also questioned why investigators failed to conduct follow-up interviews to try to corroborate what Davis said. Or is it because they looked into it and realized, we can’t verify this information, we don’t believe this is even true,” he said.

Sanft suggested Davis wasn’t even in Vegas the night of the shooting. He said investigators never recovered any receipts, credit card transactions, or even a picture of Davis at the MGM Grand that night, though he claimed in his book he was near the front of the Tyson bout, seated near celebrities. He and his lawyers claim he left gang life and the drug trade in 2008 and moved on to lawful employment as an oil refinery inspector before becoming a retired grandfather and cancer survivor living a quiet life with his wife in a Vegas suburb.

Extract — continue reading at the source.

Read full story