Darren Waller will continue his NFL comeback with the Carolina Panthers. The Panthers announced Waller's signing on Monday, waiving offensive lineman Josh Gray in a corresponding move. Carolina additionally waived linebacker Nick Hampton with an injury designation.
Waller retired after spending his eighth NFL season with the New York Giants in 2023. The tight end returned last year to catch 24 of 34 targets for 283 yards and six touchdowns in nine games with the Miami Dolphins. The 33-year-old told reporters Monday that he feels he has plenty left in the tank.
"I hope that they can still see like, I mean, I feel as good as I've felt in years right now," Waller said, per Panthers.com's Kassidy Hill. "I feel like the training that I put in this offseason has allowed me to be — from an explosive speed, movement standpoint, where I was when people remember me at the peak of my career. And I think my scoring potential was unlocked last year in ways that hadn't been before.
"So combine those two, you still get a pretty decent product out of me." Waller had a modest start to his career before registering 1,145 yards with the Oakland Raiders in 2019. The former sixth-round pick followed that breakout campaign by tallying 107 catches for 1,196 yards and nine touchdowns the following year. Injuries limited Waller to 20 games over the next two seasons before the Raiders traded him to the Giants, where he collected 552 yards and a touchdown.
The 2020 Pro Bowler announced his retirement at age 31 after a health scare. Waller scored four touchdowns in his first three games out of retirement for the Dolphins. That stretch included a season-high 78 yards and a score in a Week 5 loss to the Panthers, who overcame an early 17-0 deficit.
The Panthers will see if Waller can bolster last year's 26th-ranked passing offense by giving Bryce Young a notable red-zone target. Tommy Tremble led their tight ends with 249 receiving yards last season.
Extract — continue reading at the source.